Monday, November 30, 2009

Return


Is social drinking ok?

Sure. Jesus drank wine right?

Is it ok to smoke?

Well, it's not good for you, but cigars aren't addictive, so I guess it's okay.

Is is ok to have close friends who aren't believers?

Yeah. Why not??? We can win them to Christ if we're around them long enough.

How about dating nonbelievers?

Yeah. Why does it matter?

Should we go to movies that use God's name in vain?

Yeah. Cussing isn't that bad. It's not like I do it a lot.

You might agree with these answers, but if you don't, let me explain. This is the response of most college-age and teenagers today. I'm not talking about people who aren't saved. I'm talking about the modern day church. I'm speaking of people that have called on the name of Jesus Christ and have believed on Him for the forgiveness of their sins. My generation deems these questions difficult to answer. There is no black and white answer anymore. It seems that we do "...what is right in our own eyes."

It's interesting to point out that my parent's generation didn't have much difficulty answering these questions. The church in those days, that preached an ounce of holiness, had a definite answer to those questions. Let me share them:

Is social drinking ok?

No. My body is the temple of God and I shouldn't put anything in my body that will cause it to deteriorate or cause my brother or sister to stumble.

Is it ok to smoke?

No. My body is the temple of the Holy Spirit.

Is is ok to have close friends who aren't believers?

No. The scripture says that we should not be unequally yoked with nonbelievers.

How about dating nonbelievers?

This is unscriptural because it will affect my relationship with Jesus Christ AND I should not be unequally yoked with someone that has not accepted Christ. "How can two walk together unless they be agreed?"

Should we go to movies that use God's name in vain?

No. Movie stars are speaking the name of my Savior, who died to save my soul, as a way of disgust.

Let me stop for a moment. Though there was some degree of self-righteousness in the holiness church of the time, there was a powerful demonstration of the Holy Spirit. We wonder why God hasn't moved in our lives or why we haven't seen God move in our churches. There's a simple answer: COMPROMISE. RAISE THE STANDARD! Once the church compromises, the glory leaves. I hope this isn't condemning, but I was just overwhelmed by the responses of my peers. Bring back holiness! Love you guys.


Praying for you,

-LJ-
Rom 8:2

No comments: